Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Ive got a Panasonic microwave that reads H-98 when I try to

Customer Question

hi,ive got a Panasonic microwave that reads H-98 when I try to use it, it turns on for half a second and then displays H 98
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 years and it says inverter on front
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if its just a code or something that needs put in
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, that's it
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your microwave today. So H98 is probably the most common issue that Panasonic microwaves get. H98 can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.