Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My year old refrigerator is not working properly. Under

Customer Question

My year old refrigerator is not working properly. Under refrigerator Er comes up and under freezer rF. I unplug it then plug it back in and it works for three hours. I have been doing this for two days waiting on a call from Sears to help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Joan. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today.

First, this error means that your main control board doesn't think your refrigerator fan motor is running properly. So thankfully the control board is typically not the part that fails, it's usually the fan motor or sometimes just ice/frost hitting the fan blade. You'll want to remove the back cover panel in the center on the back wall inside the refrigerator to expose the fan to make sure there isn't just ice or frost you need to thaw out. Plug the refrigerator back in after you try to thaw it out and if the error comes back in the next day or so, replace the fan motor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I take everything including shelves to get at back panel and then how does it come off?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

yes, all food and shelves and even shelf supports and rails on the side. Then there are just screws going into the back panel you need to unscrew and the back panel will pull forward and out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please bare with me. We are two seniors. Where are the screws?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

They go directly into the back panel inside the freezer around the outer edges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have taken two side bars and centre bar under filter and Panal does not just lift off. What now? Do you think you are dealing with the right fridge?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Yes I am but unfortunately if there is ice or frost build up behind this panel it may be stuck and not come off so you have to thaw out the panel with a hair dryer for awhile before it comes off.