Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My sub zero refrigerator side (built in double unit)

Customer Question

my sub zero refrigerator side (built in double unit) compressor shudder slightly when it completes its cooling cycle. Unit runs great for being 35 years old. Is this a problem? Can it be remedied?
Thanks Ed
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. The shuttering sound means that either your compressor piston pin has broken off inside the compressor so you need a new compressor, or it means that the fan up in the ceiling of the refrigerator section is hitting something. If you press on the door switch for the refrigerator and the fan changes noises, then you may need to replace the fan motor. Otherwise, your compressor will continue working but eventually it will stall and stop working. That can take a few months or years, but the compressor is on it's way out and would need to be replaced to resolve that issue.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?