Jamie_2013, Handyman
Experience:  worked on appliances for around 6 years

The turntable on our Maytag microwave oven won't stop

Customer Question

The turntable on our Maytag microwave oven won't stop turning when the door is closed.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We bought it 8 years ago. The model number is: MMV5156AAQ
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Whenever we close the door the turntable keeps turning but the light is not on. It stops when we open the door.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I don't recall anything special happening before. But a few days ago I heard a small noise coming from the microwave and discovered that the table was still turning. It stopped when I opened the door. Otherwise, the microwave works well.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jamie_2013 replied 2 months ago.

The turntable is controlled by a relay on the main control board. First try turning your breaker to the microwave off for a couple of minutes then turn it back on and see if turntable still turns. If it does then the relay on the main control has failed in the closed position. The control would have to be replaced.

Using the Star Rating Chart at the top of your page and rating me at least a 3 star is how I receive payment for helping you. Please if you do not understand my answer, don't hesitate to ask for more help. BONUSES appreciated.