Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a whirlpool Super Capacity 465 gas range... Sometimes

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool Super Capacity 465 gas range... Sometimes the oven doesn't come on at 300 until I open the bottom rack tray and watch the burnner ignite... It's been a few hours since use and I can smell gas and the pilot is out in the oven. I have the windows open but dont want to risk turning it on? What should I do?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought the house 2.5 years ago and was in pretty new looking condition but honestly, I don't know?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would prefer not to... What work needs to be done? Don't even know where to start... First concern is obviously the families safety
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Would like to know if the pilot should be out in the oven if off or should it stay on? My guess is that's where the gas smell is coming from... not being burned off and all I mean
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• I suspect you may have a weak igniter that is not opening the valve all the way to ignite properly.
  • The model tag is usually behind the lower drawer. May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?