Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a GE cooktop. It is not a flat kind and there are

Customer Question

I have a GE cooktop. It is not a flat kind and there are like heat element discs. They are not getting hot enough to boil water. What is wrong?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. There may not be anything wrong with the cooktop. All glass cooktops have a thermal limiter in the burner to protect the glass and when it gets too hot it turns off the burner even when the switch is set to high. This become a bigger problem when you are trying to heat a large amount of water since it take more time and the glass gets hotter. Here is what you can do to minimize problems. The pan should be sized closely to the burner and must be within one inches over or under each side. A 6" pan on an 8" burner or a 8" pot on a 6" burner. Make sure the bottom of the pot is perfectly flat to conduct heat quickly.

This does assume they get red hot when turned on. If not there is a problem. Let me know if you have concerns.

Hello, do you still need help? Please let me know what I can do for you.