Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Kelly I have a Maytag stackable gas dryer and washer. It is

Customer Question

Hi Kelly
I have a Maytag stackable gas dryer and washer. It is the Neptune brandNeptune MHW2000AWW
Serial number(###) ###-####UUMy washer broke and we repaired it then when we put it back together the dryer seem to be straining. Sometimes it would work and other times the drum with strain it just would not start. It also made a smell sometimes. I need to either fix that one or take the dryer off of the washer that is sitting outside, which is the identical washer and dryer, and try and fit the other dryer on top of the washer that works. which do you think is easier? Switching out the dryers are trying to fix the dryer that is on the existing machine that works? I can send you a video tape of the noise that it's making but basically the drum has a very difficult time starting and turning and it makes a loud humming noise and like I said it smells.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• If the dryer is straining, it is probably a motor issue. Is the noise a humming or buzzing noise, coming from the bottom of the dryer cabinet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll send you a video
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

That would be great, thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The short videos aren't uploading! I'm so frustrated. Nothing is working. The dryer isn't acting up now either. It's turning on and running normally now. It's when I load clothes in it that it strains and then stops. It's not making a load noise like the other dryer. It's very soft. LISTEN. We had that machine apart and before it was taken apart, the dryer worked fine. Is it possible that when the dryer was reattached that something happened and it is rubbing against something?I also have an option. I can take the identical dryer off another unit I have outside now and replace it with another gas dryer. Which do you think is easier? Someone said they would come today to help me and didn't show. He has addiction issues. Lucky me. I'm ready to scream.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

You certainly have your hands full there, holy cow! The dryer cabinet may be out of square if it was not attached properly, provided there is a mounting kit used. It may be that something got moved inside that is causing something to rub on the drum.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That makes sense. This unit has been a stackable since it was manufactured. I just need some muscle to help me
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

It comes apart from the front but is not real easy. It will require two people usually. Want me to send you instructions to disassemble?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I love you Kelly! Yes please. I'm sitting here crying and feeling like a helpless woman! If you knew me you would know that I'm tough as nails and ran a 12 man construction crew for a year on my last construction project 9 months ago. I just don't have the physical strength to do this and flakes keep telling me they will help me. Please send instructions and I will start this on my own. Thanks again
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I so understand what you are going through right now, I get so frustrated at the things that I am not able to do. I was diagnosed with cancer in December of 2014 (CLICK HERE) and lost a good deal of my strength and it is taking forever to get it back! I am thankful for every day but, believe me, I understand!

The service manual is available for download below. Start on page 9-1.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
God has a wonderful and quirky way of putting people in touch! I'm so sorry you and your family have had to deal with cancer! My company name is***** and I help people get healthy!! Boy can I help you! I wish you could come here and help me fix my appliances and your family can stay at my place like a vacation (I'm five minutes from the beach and ten minutes from the santa monica pier. I have an ocean view and my house can sleep 19 in beds. So it's a five star resort and affordable because it will be free! That's why I'm struggling to keep my house! It's so big and everything is breaking!! I cannot afford to have people here to fix it). Then I could help you get your strength back and get you on a diet and rebuilding program that western medicine will never tell you. If that sounds like something you may be interested in, let me know. $310 seven too won $7400 is my number. Services for services. Lol!
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I wish I could, that would be awesome! I have two younger kids in school and one in college, one grandchild and another on the way, it is hectic here! I have been researching a lot and trying different things to speed the process and you are certainly right about the offerings of the medical community here! My situation is a bit different in that the cancer I was diagnosed with is extremely rare, there are less than 70 cases reported in the English medical literature and there really is no recommended treatment (more info here). So, they have been just treating the symptoms as they arise and lots of scans and bloodwork! But I have been working with diet modification and herbal supplements.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there. I'm studying your cancer but will get back to you on that later. Jacob just showed up 90 minutes late but HE'S HERE!! We are going to start on the Maytag
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Awesome. let me know how it goes. Hopefully something easy to give you a break today! :-)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I downloaded the Mediafire link and as I was toggling down the page, it disappeared twice. Now I get this message.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Don't we take off the front? I started dryer again and it seems to be working but I know it won't later.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would you mind sending me the link again for the manual? 9-1 is far down and I'm on my phone so when I toggle down the page, my finger slips and I hit something and I blow it. Haste makes waste! I'm soooo sorry
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Of course, no worries! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

This link won't expire, sorry about that.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We started on 9-1. How many steps do we do? All of them?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The front panel needs to come totally off to remove the drum. Or, if you see something once the front is off, you may not need to remove it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay we are to the machine control board. We have vacuumed everything as we go. Do we keep going? Top of off and front panel is off.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do you mean if you see something? I guess now we should be looking around the drum to see if something is interfering with it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are a lot of rub marks like in photo. Front has more than rear.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

There are glides that the drum rides on in the front. It looks like they may be worn down to metal looking at the drum. Can you take that front bulkhead off and inspect those glides?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See the interior? The galley is torn. And it's uneven all the way around. Hard to see in pics.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The band around dryer is frayed
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

That rear seal may need to be replaced and I suspect the front glides as well. Once you get that front part off we will be able to tell better.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Time for a new belt, too. Mostly just maintenance stuff.....

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do we order these parts? Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is the front bulkhead the thing where the lint trap is connected to?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I can get you links to the parts. Yes, the bulkhead is the part that that drum rides on in the front.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where are the instructions to remove the bulkhead?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is where we are
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

There are just the four 5/16" screws, they come out then lift up slightly and it will come off.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Remove that metal cross brace and the screws from the bulkhead and it will come off.

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

This video will help.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We got the bulkhead out. Do we need new glides?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What do we do now? Since we really need one dryer, do you think we should go outside and remove the dryer from the other unit and attach to this unit?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is the serial numbers for the other unit. The original serial numbers for the other unit or at the top of this message thread. Are they interchangeable?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Those glides are bad, yes. The dryer cannot be removed, they are all one assembly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay!! That answers that. So we cannot fix this one today so I will leave in parts and wait until we get the parts delivery. We are going to go upstairs now and take a stab at the upstairs dryer! I will message you on a separate thread so you get the credit but we are talking about the same LG dryer. Thank you so much. I really appreciate you and I will help you figure out this cancer thing! Please go online and buy the video series and start watching the doctors and learning. Www.thetruthaboutcancer.com. There is your first homework assignment!
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I will take a look at those, thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The gasket on the washer looks nasty! Is that something we should also order and replace or is it too much of a pain? Did you get two different pictures or did I accidentally send you one twice?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

It can be cleaned but the black staining won't come out. The seal is available below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What kind of time commitment is it to replace the seal?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

It is not too bad, about 45 minutes or so.