Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I am having trouble with my fridge, Jenn Air JS48SEDBDA, 9

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my fridge
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Jenn Air JS48SEDBDA, 9 Years I am original owner
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: as long as it is not a high skill solution
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Was making noise for weeks, then started heating the freezer and fridge to 97, and 86
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I turned the refrigerator off for 20 minutes and then turned it back on. Now that it's turned back on the sound is back to normal. And it appears to have started cooling again. When I touch the walls in the freezer they are cold to the touch. When I touch the walls in the refrigerator portion they're not cold but they're not hot like they had been. Currently the temperature in the freezer is now down from 97 to 68°, and the temperature in the refrigerator is currently 76°. I'm not sure if it's running normal again and doesn't have a problem or if there is a problem that caused it to switch over to heating mode.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the refrigerator has been running overnight now for 11 hours straight. The temperature in the freezer is now 18°, and the refrigerator is 44°. When I opened the refrigerator door this morning the power interrupt light was blinking, I pressed reset, and a few minutes later when I double checked the temperature it was blinking again. I reset it and see if it doesn't again. The refrigerator is running much quieter it doesn't have that loud buzzing type noise that it used to have the last few weeks. I can feel with my hand air being pulled over the fins.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The temperatures should be much colder now. I suspect that the lights inside may be staying on to bring the inside temperatures up above ambient room temperature. Can you tell if the lights go on and off with the opening and closing of the doors?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lights go out when you close the door. I can guarantee you that is not the problem. The first symptom was the water through the door stopped working. It is back down to temperature now and water through the door is working again but I would like to find and correct the problem that cause it to heat up so I don't loose another fridge full of food! I had the main board and power supply replaced last year so I would assume for now that those are fine.
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Perhaps another may have an idea what is causing the issue. I will place your question back to the list for others to see.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Good Idea because Light Bulb was not a $28 dollar answer.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer my name is ***** ***** will see if I am able to help you with this.

It sounds to me like your refrigerator may have kicked over to defrost mode because the freezer had frozen up. The fan motor may have been hitting ice around the fan blades causing the noise. That would be a good indicator why it is working again once you unplugged it and plugged it back in. I can look over the manual and see what I can find out in regards ***** ***** power interrupter if you would like. Just to check your appliance is running correctly right now right?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it appears to be running correctly now. the refrigerator side is holding pretty steady at 37°. The freezer side bounces back up between zero and 13°. I have replaced the defrost tray about a year ago in the freezer. But it always seems strange that the ice cubes in the ice cube bin lock together as if they had started to sweat and then freeze back up. I don't know if that is any kind of the clue as to what might be going on.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

There is a heating element in your freezer on the coil which is taking the ice off of that. That is why it keeps bouncing back and forth between 0 and 13 degrees. It will run for so long and then the element will warm up. Your defrost mode will go in and out periodically so there is nothing to worry about with that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What you say makes sense but is it true for a built in fridge where the equipment is in the compartment on top of the unit? If what you say is really the case then what caused it to bake the inside? The temp was 97° in the freezer. I am wondering about a re-occurance and what I can do as preventative maintenance.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Honestly I have searched around for information that would cause the fridge to heat up that hot because obviously that is not normal at all. I even called some service workers to make sure I wasn't missing something and none of them could figure it out either. I do know though when electronic controls experience a power surge, they stop working until the controls are reset. The reset is to unplug and leave off for around a minute and then plug back in. So it could have been that. Also of course there are the fans and such that could have been a problem but since it is now cooling down I wouldn't think that either. I am for sure that the coils had to have been really dirty to have froze up and stop the cool air from coming in and when you unplugged it certainly jolted the automatic defrost to kick in. As far as preventive maintenance I would suggest to keep the coils clean and clear of debris. As well as checking to make sure the fan is moving and operating properly. Those are main things to keep the fridge and freezer cold or cool. I certainly hope that you don't have this issue again but in the event you do we are here all the time. You are always more than welcome to follow up with me at anytime.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I vacuum the fins on the top of the fridge next to the water filter about every 6 months, there is never more than a few particles on there and it was clean when this happened. It must have been related to the noisy operation. it must have been related to the noise because now the sound is back to normal and it's able to maintain a cool temperature. I just don't want to have to throw away another refrigerator full of baked food!
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 3 months ago.

Oh I totally understand I don't want for you to have to go through that either. I would assume the noise was coming from either the evaporator fan or the condenser fan but when you reset it by unplugging and plugging back up it jump started those as well. Since its working correctly at the moment its hard to have you trouble shoot the areas that could have been a problem possibly. As I said before though you are always more than welcome to come right back to this us and I will help you.