Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

My Maytag Centennial washer suddenly does not respond to

Customer Question

my Maytag Centennial washer suddenly does not respond to pushing the START/PAUSE/CANCEL button - as the washer was going through a normal cycle earlier, I tried to pause the machine, but no response (it kept on washing) - I allowed the washer to fully complete the entire cycle and turn off - I unloaded it and tried to start again, but the START button failed to get it going...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• I suspect the User Interface control may be faulty if all other functions are still working.
  • May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As I write this, I am not at home to access the model number,etc. However, I want you to know that shortly after engaging JustAnswer yesterday evening the washer commenced working -- I had set it at regular wash and pressed the START button and it did not start then -- thus my inquiry for assistance. Within an hour I went back to the washer and hit the START button again, and it started! It successfully ran through the entire cycle. This morning we did another load of laundry without any problem. So...... did the problem "fix itself" (somehow was there some sort of automatic "reset") after a lapse of time? Your best thoughts, please.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If there was a lot of soap suds, that may have caused the issue you had. The suds can block the pressure hose and make the control unable to monitor the water level. It may have been an electronic control error but typically it has to be unplugged for a bit to reset. In any case, glad it is now working!