Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have a Frigidaire electric double wall oven. 11 years old.

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire electric double wall oven. 11 years old. I was preheating both ovens when the oven started sparking. No actual flames, just sparking. The lights in the house sparked at the same time. After a few seconds, this stopped and a small amount of smoke emitted from the oven, then this stopped too. No more smoke, just a faint smell now. The oven clock is working and the rest of the house electric is fine. I'm not sure what to do next. Haven't turned on the oven again at this point. I'm just not sure if I should be worried about an electrical fire or if this is just an issue of getting the oven serviced.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

I would certainly not use the oven again until you have it serviced, something has shorted in the oven most likely the main board but hard to say without looking at it. It could be a fire hazard so I would kill power to the unit at the breaker and leave it off until you get someone out to look it over.

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top of your page 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.