Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Old model ge tfx24rll. Icemaker works fine. Won't dispense

Customer Question

old model ge tfx24rll. Icemaker works fine. Won't dispense ice. Water dispense ok. I just opened freezer and it randomly started spewing ice so I think the auger and the motor are fine. Just trying to isolate the issue. I live in France so no one here to help. Nothing is frozen up so I dont think that;s it. Actuator looks fine as well.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: tfx24r. It is 1989
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• If the auger started working when the door is opened, there is likely a short in the wiring at the door hinge where the door harness connects with the main refrigerator harness. Can you inspect that wiring and connection for issues?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wish but I can't get it to repeat itself. I hold down the freezer door switch light goes out, push the ice fuse see and nothing. When I look online, I see the only electrical piece is the micro switch which is located in the freezer door but I can't tell if that is the culprit. (I have zero electric meter skills so please don't ask me). Not sure if it controls water and ice. If both, water is fine so I doubt it is that. If only ice, then maybe it needs replacing but not sure why auger motor would turn those two times if switch was dead. If auger turns, probably not the motor. So looking for the answer by elimination.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Did you inspect the wiring and connections at the door hinge?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there is a switch that turns the light in freezer on and off. It works fine.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The wiring from the door is what we need to look at. The connection is at the freezer door hinge. It may be on the bottom hinge or the upper hinge, under the cover.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll have to check that but won't be until back from business trip
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

That will be just fine, thank you.