Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

I just got a Jenn-Air S166-c range at an auction (from a

Customer Question

I just got a Jenn-Air S166-c range at an auction (from a reputable family) but the display is not working. All the heating elements work but the display is not showing anything. I noticed there are three mini- breakers and little white buttons above them (one of them has the number 15 on it ). Would pushing them help reset the display or how can I get the display to work?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

yes the older ranges have those mini breakers ,they are not reqd anymore on the newer ranges ,but the 15 amp mini breaker would control the lites and the display , if it is popped out push it back in ,if it has popped it will click when pushed try them all actually ..it wont hurt anything

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, Randy. I pushed them all, twice actually, but no lights or numbers on the display showed up. How do I make the display work again?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

do the oven lites work ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, I haven't been able to make it turn on either.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

if the oven lites work then the range is receiving 120 volts ..if you havent already try turning the breaker off for 2-3 minutes and resetting

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

if the oven lites dont work that mini breaker may be bad ,or there is no neutral coming to your wall outlet ..it takes 240 volts to heat but you need a neutral for the display ,oven lites and indicators to work

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm just waiting for the 3 minute time. The display on my other range was working before they took that one, if that's any helpful info.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

it may be the neutral or a bad mini breaker internally in the range ,not very likey the display and lites both dont work at the same time

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Darn, no display after resetting the breaker. Regarding the mini breakers, two of them had resistance when I pushed them. I had pushed one hours ago after it had been installed and it had given a popping sound before. But no popping sounds now
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

well you can shut the breaker off and take the two wires off the 15 mini breaker and tape the metall ends together then reapply power ,eliminating that 15 amp mini breaker that may be questionable ,just to test

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I find out if it's the neutral or the mini breaker? Is this something I can fix or do I need to order parts? I thought maybe the light bulb was burnt out. Could that be why there is no light too? Since the display worked in my other stove, would that mean the neutral is working at my place?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All of the mini breakers are inside a metal box.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

yes, i know ..if you dont feel comfortable thats fine ..if your last range lights worked and this replacement doesnt have lites or a display ,it will be a wiring issue with the white neutral wire or a bad mini breaker

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It sounds like at this time, I can't really do anything to fix it. I would need to open up the box and then work with the wires to find out if it's a bad mini breaker, is that right? Also, where is the white neutral wire? Is that something I could check for problems, being a non-electrician?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I forgot to mention that my last oven's lights did work. I can get this Jenn-Air's top light to turn on.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

there will be two wires to the 15 mini breaker usually white , take thiose two and join together , but have the power off to the range first , if you have a meter you can also check that mini breaker for continuity

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

yes, if all lites and displays dont work it would all be related to not having 120 volts , all lites and displays run on 120 volts

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
does what you just sent me mean that it's likely a mini- breaker issue? I'm not quite sure what you mean. Also, if the mini-breaker needs to be replaced, is it easy to find one and do? I'm not 100% sure how to open the box to access the wires. I'm guessing it's easiest to get an appliance person/electrician in to have a look. Could you please give me a list of things in sequential order to give to him for him to check out? Also, am I allowed to have that person do what you say before I finish this conversation, do the rating/ or request a second opinion?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is late right now. I'm only
up now because I need to practice some music for tomorrow/today.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

ask the tech to check the incoming power to insure red-black has 220 volts and red -white has 120 volts and black- white has 120 volts

tell him no lites work

ask him to check mini breaker for continuity and connections to the mini breaker

also ask him to check the terminal block on the range

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** won't be able to get anyone until Monday at the earliest. Am I allowed by JustAnswer to stop talking with you now but rate this discussion later once someone has a chance to try what you recommend?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Could you please let me know if it's easy to get mini-breaker replacements if that's what is needed?
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

youcan rate anytime and still come back and ask questions even afterwards ,no problem there

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

you can just bypass the mini breaker they are not reqd any more ..

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh i see what you mean now. Thank you, ***** ***** night.
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

ok , good luck

Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 months ago.

how did things work out ? do you require any more assistance ? thx Randy