John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have Model:JVM1631WJ03 XL Microwave Oven and the inside

Customer Question

I have Model:JVM1631WJ03 XL Microwave Oven and the inside bulb has burned out. The manual does not help me in replacing that bulb. I got as far as removing the grid and that's it!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  bonzaco replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** This is pretty common and can be a pain. It's tacked in place with contact cement or hot glue, and sometimes there may have been enough moisture to corrode and seize up.

First of all, always unplug the oven before removing or installing light bulbs.

You could heat it up (hair dryer, maybe?) then use needle nose pliers. Be careful if heating so you don't burn anything.

You may be able to put the tips of needle nose pliers inside the broken bulb's socket, gently but firmly force the pliers jaws apart and then rotate the pliers to loosen it.

Another cool trick is to put a big glob of hot glue on the end of a stick or dowel, then shove it into the broken base and let it cool about 5 minutes, then turn the stick.

Before I install a new bulb, I put a little WD-40 or rust buster on the threads of the new bulb, too. Grease, Vaseline, cooking oil, or anything like that will work. Just a thin coat.

Once you get the lights replaced, if you find that they still won't come on (or if they're stuck on or stuck on bright or dim) then you will need to have your circuit board repaired.

Most important thing is 'switch the power off before starting the job'