Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have whirlpool gd5vnvaxsa01. Ice doesn't dispense. It used

Customer Question

I have whirlpool gd5vnvaxsa01. Ice doesn't dispense. It used to work intermittently but has stopped working. When you first press the ice dispenser switch, you hear a hum for couple of seconds, then if you press again nothing happens. Motor issue or switch issue? Water works fine.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: it is about 7 years old. Model number is *****
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: It does not give messages. Ice does not dispense. It hums for few seconds.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: didn't I just give entire story on what happened on my first message
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• If you pull the ice bucket out and then push the ice lever, does the motor run with no resistance?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, still doesn't work
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Does it make noise at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when you first press it, it makes a noise for 1-2 seconds then stops. If you press again, it doesn't hum at all.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok as above
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I suspect the motor is faulty. You can test the voltage to it to confirm that failure if you have a meter to test with. If you have no meter, I would replace the motor.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

See the attached pages.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there any information on how to replace the motor
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I sent you three pages from the service manual. Are you not able to open them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I just saw them. Motor on refrigerator need to be accessed from front. It is whirlpool gold with rotating faucet
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

It is accessed from inside the freezer, on the door. In the diagram at the link below, number 30 will come off to expose the motor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it does not come from inside the freezer. It is not like that. That is for a different model. There is now way to access it from inside.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have seen you tube video of the model you sent that is accessed from inside. My type of model has a confusing video.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hmm, let me see if I can view a different breakdown. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, thanks. this is the confusing video on you tube.
title 1 of 3 Whirlpool Auger Whirlpool Gold Ice machine door mounted ice bin
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

If you remove the drip tray, do you see two screws on the bottom of the dispenser, hidden by the tray?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That part I understand, but rest is confusing after getting the front plastic part off.
I wish there better pictures.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also understand getting the augur out from inside before getting the motor out on the outside.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

I will see if another has replaced that motor recently and can give detailed steps. They will post to you if so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Thanks.