Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My GE Spacesaver microwave is beeping every 30 seconds or so

Customer Question

My GE Spacesaver microwave is beeping every 30 seconds or so and displaying the message "Keypad has shorted ... may need service". Is there something I can do myself to correct this, or do I need a repair person to look at it? Might flipping the breaker (which also has some of my other kitchen electricals on the same breaker) reset the keypad?
JA: I'm the Appliance Technician's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you. Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 4 years old, I believe. The model is JVM1540DP1CC.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Symptoms are the series of 4 long beeps every 30 seconds or so, keypad message, unresponsive keypad, underside light is on.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I woke up this morning to this problem, so I cannot say what happened immediately prior to the problem starting. I did not detect any issues last evening. The troubleshooting amounted to looking online, in the owners manual for any quick answers. Also, have called service persons but am outside of the usual business hours window and have not received any responses. I also looked at the breaker box to see if the mw is on it's own breaker but it is not.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There is one thing you can try if this does not work then the keypad will have to be replaced. You can remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the main board and using an eraser clean the contacts on the ribbon cable and see if that clears up the errors. Sometimes dirty or corroded contacts can cause that problem. To get to the control, you remove the grill once you remove the grill at the top you will see the screws holding the control cover , remove those and the keypad panel will come out then just disconnect the ribbon cable from the main board. Make sure to kill the power to the microwave first.

*******************************************************************************

The only way I get credit for the time I spend helping you is if you rate the answer 3 stars or higher. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer so I get credit and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. Thank you in advance.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and un-rated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?