Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

The back wall of our bottom freezer of our Amana

Customer Question

The back wall of our bottom freezer of our Amana refrigerator model # ABL222FES4 is freezing up. We have removed ice from vents on back wall with a hair dryer and within a week it ices up again.
This refrigerator is approx. 6 yrs old and is in a remote cabin so if there are things we can try before calling a technician we would appreciate the assistance.
Thank you!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

This model has a history of faulty defrost thermostats, shown at the link below.

This part is what protects the unit from overheating when it goes into a defrost cycle. If it fails, the heater cannot turn on. So, it would certainly allow the unit to frost up as you are seeing. This thermostat is mounted at the very top of the evaporator coil that is accessed by removing the rear panel from inside the freezer. There are only two wires to it so it is very easy to replace. I suspect rep[lacing this part will solve the frosting issue. Of course, be sure to thaw the coil completely before reassembling.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!