Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

Have Whirlpool refrigerator. For past month freezer has

Customer Question

Have Whirlpool refrigerator. For past month freezer has stopped working.The first time I unplugged it & it went 2 weeks working fine then stopped again . I noticed after removing lower back cover that the condenser fan was working but inside the freezer cold air was not coming out. I pulled the plug again & reconnected it but this time the condenser fan didn't do anything.After about 1 1/2 hours It started working & cooling. The next morning I noticed water on the floor & in the pan underneath was full but fridge was working. then the following day freezer stopped blowing cold inside but condenser fan is on. there are a few relays & sensors that control the operation of the system but I not sure whats causing the problem.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Its 15 years old Whirlpool Model # ED25QFXHW01
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: A friend thought the problem was in the defrosting aspect of the refrigerator
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils in the freezer, if the defrost system is not working due to a failed component of the defrost system the entire evaporator coil becomes a block of ice and the fan in the freezer can't circulate the air in the unit properly so it does not cool right. Then you unplug the unit and it thaws out so the unit starts to work again until it freezes back up.

The next time it stops cooling just check the freezer and see if you see ice built up on the rear back panel of the freezer, if so them most likely the defrost timer is bad, the defrost timer is located in the control panel and is listed as number 6 in the diagram I have linked below. Also if you would like me to call, I will send you the service request if you accept the offer give me your number and I will call you.

also if you do not want a phone call, let me know if you have any further questions and also please read below:

I hope you feel my efforts to help you in this matter have been adequate and deserve a rating. If so please rate the answer by clicking on the 3rd star or higher on the star rating system at the top of the page at this time so that I get credit for helping you today it will be greatly appreciated. There will be no extra charges for any follow up questions that may follow and I will still continue to help even after you have rated the answer, Thank You.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and un-rated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?