Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a Maytag Neptune front loader washer that keeps

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune front loader washer that keeps giving an 3E error at the beginning of the wash cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• If you manually spin the tub, does it move smoothly?
  • May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The spinning cycle seems to be fine. I can't get to the model number, I'm handicap and not able to move the heavy washer. Don't know where my manual is either.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The model tag should be around the opening when the door is opened.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Model # MAH8700AWW
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

The 3E error means that the electronic control is having an issue with the signal the tachometer in the motor is sending to it. That is how it monitors the motor movement. When it cannot monitor that movement, the 3E error will be displayed. Now, this error is very common and is very often caused by a connection issue on the motor's wiring harness connector. So, the issue will be to get to that connector. It will require the machine be pulled out, the rear access panel removed and the connector accessed near the bottom of the machine, under the tub. If you can access that connector and unplug and inspect the terminals in the plug and motor, you will likely find one that may be loose or bent and can simply be corrected with no parts being required. If all connections look good, the motor (with the sensor attached) will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the answer, I will get my son to check this out when he comes for a visit over the week-end.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome! If he has any questions, just have him post here, I will be here this weekend. Have a peaceful evening....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You too!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Thank you!