Ezekiel
Ezekiel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Repair Expert
91962359

GE fridge GSS25QSWCSS about 8 years old. A couple of weeks

Customer Question

GE fridge GSS25QSWCSS about 8 years old. A couple of weeks ago the ice maker became very loud when dispensing ice cubes. Last week when seeing quite a bit of use it developed a burning smell that filled the freezer and fridge. Any thoughts on what caused this and what needs to be replaced to fix?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I'm going to do everything in my power to answer your question to your full satisfaction!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

hi there do you still have that smell do u see any black residue or residue in general from the icemaker

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Smell is still present because we haven't cleaned it yet. I don't see black residue.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

I have seen this on ge icemakers go bad and short out the icemaker needs replacing the gears are plastic and an electronic control board .I can get you a price on it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seems to me the noise came from the motor that turns the auger. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

oh yes that's an auger motor that smell I just remembered there is a black plastic solenoid on the same housing that when it burns it gives a nasty strong plastic burnt smell is that what your getting

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think the ice maker is working ok. It is a plastic smell and I think it is an issue with the auger motor. The auger is also cracked. Is that easy to replace?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just checking are you still there?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes you can replace it pretty easy the u shaped metal bar on the motor shaft you must turn it counter clockwise to get it off

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

there is a black part on the same housing next to the auger it has 2 wires on it that's a solenoid does it look swollen as in melted there is a metal part in the center that slides up and down does it do that if you try it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i don't see a solenoid. Do I need to remove the cover for the auger?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes it sits on the same housing as the auger right next to it

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

number 378

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have the auger motor assembly taken apart. The solenoid does not look swollen but I sure think that is where the smell came from.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes its very common that metal piece inside the solenoid does it slide in and out easily

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure how you get it to slide but I can't move that metal rod inside
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

that solenoid part has 2 screws on the housing if you remove them then you can drop the solenoid down then the rod should move

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A bit confused there but I can now push the rod in and pull all the way out
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

ok so that means that the solenoid is not swollen if you found the auger motor cracked obviously its not suppose to be when you select the ice options when you select crushed ice the solenoid will not move but if you select cubed ice it will engage you will here it if it works then replace the auger motor

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just noticed the solenoid metal bracket was seperated at the top and it looks like the metal got hot. I'm confident that is where the smell came from.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

great observation

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

so that whole part is a solenoid kit it can be replaced

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The auger plastic screw is cracked not the motor
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

oh I see can you repair or insert a metal screw

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

I can get you a price on the solenoid kit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I need to replace the auger also. A blade is cracked and not repairable.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

ok let me get you a price on it as well

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

Crushed/Cubed Ice Solenoid Kit

Part Number: PS11699580

$66.42

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

here you go

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

you can get it at www.partselect.com

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is not the same solenoid that I was working on. The one I am working on is a black cylindrical in a metal bracket #stc-13c-B02. That is why I was confused.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

this is the part

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was working on solenoid #378. The last picture you sent me was for #369. How do I know for sure which one I need?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

its the same part just two different website postings but its the same part the last response I sent you with photo that's the one it requires although both the same part

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

please go to www.repairclinic.com enter your model number and search for the solenoid you will see it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are not the same part. I am looking at the diagram and #378 is the solenoid kit and #369 is the ice auger motor. Not sure which one I need now. How do I know which one is bad?
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

you stated that the auger had a cracked blade next the solenoid had a burnt smell that the bracket was separated I'm sending you pics of both parts per your model number

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The bracket on #378 was seperated. The auger blade was broken a couple of years ago. Should the motor be fine? If in doubt I might replace the auger, auger motor and solenoid #378 since I have it torn apart.
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

yes I would replace both but if the auger is still working let it go but definitely replace the solenoid

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thanks for the help!
Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

please rate me high as that's how the site pays me thank you goodluck

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.

this is the solenoid for this fridge per your model number

Expert:  Ezekiel replied 7 months ago.