Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Frigidaire flat top range...we had a breaker pop on

Customer Question

I have a Frigidaire flat top range...we had a breaker pop on a different circuit, but the stovetop controls seem to be messed up. Initially there was nothing displayed on the LCD displays for each burner, but resetting the breaker for the range has had varied results. At one point, there was simply a dash and decimal point - but this morning, after leaving the circuit off all night, they came up with a PF display...and the burners all worked...sort of. On the left side, turning on the back burner actually turned on both left burners - and the numbering for the power level being displayed is way off the scale... I'm wondering if this is a possible circuit breaker issue (bad power to that 1/2 of the 220 circuit), or possibly a control board issue...?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's a 3605...I don't recall the letters at the beginning or end...probably 5 or 6 years old (it came with the house when we bought it 2 years ago)...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Possibly - it depends on how difficult it is. I've worked with computers - including hardware build - for a number of years, and have already replaced the glass top on this range myself.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of...
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Model Number is *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also...the clock does work, as do the oven controls. Not sure if the oven actually heats up, but it can be turned on with the control panel...
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• I do suspect the issue is related to the power supply. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have a meter, but I don't know if it's appropriate on a 220 circuit...
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Do you know the model of the meter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't - I'm actually not at home at the moment...really trying to figure out if I start at the circuit panel (ie: bad breaker - I've had some others wear out) or troubleshoot the appliance itself. The meter I have is one I use for small electronics projects - 12V battery powered stuff.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

I would pick up a regular multimeter (about $15 at any hardware store) and start at the range cord and work back. Y0u should have 240 VAC between red and black and 120 VAC between black and white and red and white. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. I will give that a try. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome, thank you! Please know I am here if you have questions once you start testing!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, So - Red-Black fluctuates between 235 and 238. Black-White and Red-White both show 117.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Great, nice work! Now, can you turn the oven on and measure that same voltage to see if it drops at all, please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - R/B 232-234, B/W and R/W both 113-115
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
just FYI - I'm turning off the breaker when not testing. No response from the stove control LED's on either power on cycle...
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Okay, well done! So if the power checks out, that means issues with the electronics. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The board that controls the elements is below.

CLICK HERE

The oven control is below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Umm...OK - not having issues with the oven, though? And both boards appear to be oven controls. I would have thought maybe this would be the part to get, since the issues are with the cooktop? http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Surface-Element-Board/318411400/1532885
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

The interface board is just a low voltage switching board. The relay board I sent you is what controls the burners. I don't believe the interface board is faulty. Disregard oven control, I am not sure why I posted that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - and just to be sure - that should resolve the issues with the LCD displays not working correctly, right? I'm just concerned about ordering the wrong part for the issue - there was one instance where, when I turned the breaker back on, the controls worked, and the burners all came on when the knobs were turned...but the controls on the left side were all "messed up" - as in...the normal number range of 1-10 really only went from...2.5 to 6 through the dial range, and turning on the Back Left also turned on the front left, on High...
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Yes, the interface controls are fed from the relay board I sent you. If you order from the link I sent, that company allows returns on any part for one year, no matter what. That will negate all risk in ordering the wrong part.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK. Appreciate the clarification. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

You bet, sorry for any confusion.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kelly - so part finally arrived and I had some time to try and replace it. It doesn't match up with what's in the range - it looks similar, but not the same connections. The part number that's on the existing board is(###) ###-####rev. f When I've searched for it, the only part I've found seems to indicate it's for a gas range, not the electric flat-top like I have...?
Expert:  Kelly replied 6 months ago.

Can you post a picture of your old board?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Two pics uploaded, let me know if that works...
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That is the oven control. The burner control is mounted on the back of the range....

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ah...OK. Not quite as simple as I thought, maybe. Do I access that from behind the range - or...is it buried somewhere else (like under the cooktop...)?
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

No, it is easy to get to. Just pull the range out and remove the rear access panel.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK. Will give it a go and let you know what happens. Thx.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No luck. Board replaced, when I restored power from the breaker, all the burner LCD's had a PF displayed on them. On the left, I turned the back burner to Lo, and the front went to Hi at the same time...then all of them stopped functioning completely, and are all not working anymore - even with a couple resets of the power...
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Are you certain you got the connectors on correctly?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I double and triple checked...
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Something is shorted in that circuit then. I would return that board for a refund and call for service unless you are prepared for in depth testing and have excellent meter skills.

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I will see if another has a recommendation.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
At this point it's probably more time than skills... Although "excellent" is probably a bit beyond where I'd put myself.I will call for service on Monday unless you find another recommendation. Thanks.