Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Refrigerator makes a knocking sound about every 2 seconds.

Customer Question

Refrigerator makes a knocking sound about every 2 seconds. Stops when door is open, knocking stops. Related to water/ice dispensing?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

The nocking noise you hear either comes from your damper assembly or the icemaker. Push the door switch in so the refrigerator thinks the door is closed. Listen to the noise and if it's coming from the icemaker, heat up the icemaker with a hair dryer in case there is ice blocking the icemaker from rotating properly. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then replace the ice maker. Other than that, if the noise is coming from the vent behind the back wall, that's your damper and that would just need to be replaced if it's knocking.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.