Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

After about 6 minutes running, my Maytag mmw1153baw shuts

Customer Question

After about 6 minutes running , my Maytag mmw1153baw shuts off (there is an click sound) and seems to reset after about 20 minutes. It works fine for short time uses.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Built in 2005, Model MMV1153 BAW
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible, yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• When you turn the microwave on, do you hear a cooling fan start blowing?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the fan starts blowing on start up.
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Thank you! Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

The click you are hearing is a thermal fuse that is designed to protect the magnetron. It opens when it gets too hot and closes when it cools. If the fan is running, there should be no reason why it is getting hot enough to open. So, either the fan's air path is obstructed and it cannot cool the magnetron or the magnetron is failing. The fan is shown in the picture at the link below. There are actually two sides to it. One side cools the magnetron and the other provides the ventilation for the cooktop. Are you able top remove the unit from the wall and take the outer cabinet off to inspect the smaller blower for any issues?

CLICK HERE