Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My magic chef mcuf88w upright freezer is getting cold but

Customer Question

My magic chef mcuf88w upright freezer is getting cold but not freezing what can I do to make it freeze my food
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your freezer. This freezer is a very simple design with no defrost system or anything like that. In fact there are really only 2 functional parts on this unit and that's the compressor and the thermostat. If the unit isn't getting cold enough you just need to monitor the freezer to determine what is wrong. If the unit runs constantly and never shuts off, then the thermostat IS WORKING because it's trying to get the unit to keep cooling. That means you either have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor which are probably not worth fixing since a freon leak is about $450 to repair and a new compressor is about $650. However, if the refrigerator does shut off regularly like it thinks it has reached the proper temperature even though it hasn't, you need to replace the thermostat. You can order the thermostat in the link below if you'd like.

CLICK HERE for thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.