John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

I have a relatively old electric heater from general

Customer Question

Hi I have a relatively old electric heater from general electric. The model number is ***** The ac unit also runs through it. I came home today and this loud high pitched alarm is going off from it. I turned the unit off and the alarm still continued. I shut off the circuit and the alarm still stayed on. I turned the circuit back to on and turned the unit on again and tested the air. It will not get cooler than 75 degrees f. Can you tell me what is going on? Is there something I can do to stop the alarm?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

How old is this unit?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it is a 1987 unit. It was in the condo when we moved in 2 years ago. But it definitely isn't new.

OK that is old for sure that is why I am not finding much on it. What is beeping or buzzing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a really high pitched steady alarm sound. Not a buzz or beep. It's definitely coming from inside the unit near the bottom. But when I look in the filter compartment there is nothing down there that looks like something that could make that noise. Actually it's empty below and the duct just goes to the intake vent in the hallway.

I really can not say exactly can you get to the area to see if there is a board or anything there?