Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a KFCO22EVBL5 french door refrigerator (freezer on

Customer Question

I have a KFCO22EVBL5 french door refrigerator (freezer on the bottom). It is in a motorhome. I was attempting to put a lock on the freezer door (because it flies open when I drive) and I drilled in on the left top of the freezer about 7" from the side and hit a freon line or tank. Gas escaped for about 10 seconds. I put a screw in the hole and tape over the screw. A repair shop said I need to replace the refrigerator. Unfortunately, I'm on the road and finding a replacement refrigerator quickly is a problem. Questions: (1) What did I hit - a line or tank for the refrigerator and/or freezer? (2) How long should I expect to have cooling? (3) How long can I run like this? I'm not going to be home for 2 months.
Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

1. Unfortunately you hit the yoder loop which runs in the frame of the refrigerator to prevent the door seals from freezing shut in humid climates. This is the high side of the freon system so if you caused a leak then that isn't repairable since it's not accessible.

2. Cooling won't last for more than a day at most.

3. You can keep running the unit but it won't keep cooling for much longer, all the freon will leak out within a matter of hours.

I'm very sorry about the bad news.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.