Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair

I have to replace the door switch on my 2 year old LG Dryer

Customer Question

I have to replace the door switch on my 2 year old LG Dryer Model 4870W. I can find the two latches in the front but when I depress them the top cover doesn't rise so I can't get to the switch.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LG is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Sorry bought in 2014. Model DLE 4870W
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if I can get the darn top off. Just have to unplug the bad switch and plug in the new one.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Look at several Youtube videos but none of my model.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There is nothing special you have to do but push the tabs in, sometimes though that is easier said then done they can be fairly tough to push all the way in sometimes, a heavier paint scraper or a butter knife is best for doing that. Here is a video that shows how to do it with a butter knife. click here for video

Please Note: The only way I get compensated for my time helping you is if you rate the answer!

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and un-rated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tech manual says you have to remove one screw from SAFETY COVER before depressing tabs but picture in manual doesn't show screw location.

they must be referring to some cover on the back of the unit that prevents the lid from being raised, a cover for the dryer cord connection maybe overlaps the dryer lid in the rear?

the safety cover is listed as A560 in the diagram linked below:

its located on the rear top of the dryer

were you able to find it and get the lid raised?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry Joel, Just got back from picking my wife up Her car broke down and now I have a broke car and dryer. Not a great day. I'll try taking off the back cover and see if that works.

One of those days huh? Sorry to hear that hopefully you can at least get the dryer fixed today. Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Darn screws are so tight (from Factory) I'm afraid to strip the heads. Tried three different phillips heads

ya they are tough sometimes, have to apply a ton of pressure as you try and turn them.