Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have 5 year old Bosch microwave md HMB5050/01 It will run

Customer Question

i have 5 year old Bosch microwave md HMB5050/01 It will run for 15 or 20 seconds and shut off without heating the food i
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: purchased it in 2011 HMB5050/01 FD NO.(###) ###-####
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not really but could if not too complicated . Is it worth taking to repair shop?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: didnot quit working when we were using it . We've had some bad thunderstorms could lightening storms have damaged it or power blinking off and on
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your microwave. So this issue you're experiencing can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove the control panel. This will give you access to the door switches to the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?