Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

My Maytag 5000 w/steam dryer model# MEDE500VW0. push power

Customer Question

My Maytag 5000 w/steam dryer model# ***** push power all looks fine. push start nothing happens
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Sorry you are having a problem. Is anything lite up on the control? Does the light come on when you open the door?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
everything seems fine just doesn't start

Okay, thanks. This could be either the door switch, the thermal fuse or the broken belt switch. Open the door and make sure the switch clicks when you push the lever. Next take off the bottom pane. Here are the instructions. See if the belt around the drum is in place. If this is okay I will tell you how to test the thermal fuse.

1. Unplug dryer or disconnect power. 2. Remove two screws below the toe panel. 3. Slide the toe panel down, then pull it out from the bottom. See figure 15

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
switch clicks, is the panel you are referring to in the back or front?

Lower front panel.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there are 4 hexagon shape screws is that what I remove.

Down almost at floor level? There are generally only 2 but it could be 4. They are 1/4" size.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
got it, with the help of course from my three year olds. Next step?

Can you see if the belt is in place around the drum? It is a narrow belt only about 3/8" wide.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Okay, with the dryer still unplugged continue to test the fuse. Watch the video from the link I provided at the end to help you. The thermal fuse is on the blower duct. It is easier to get to the fuse if you remove the lint duct. Open the door and remove the lint filter. Close the door and remove the hex-head screws from the lint filter duct and remove it. The fuse is a small plastic part with light blue wires attached. It should have continuity if you have a meter to test it but if not, you can put both wires together and tape them for safety and try the dryer just as a test. If it runs, check to make sure the vent tubing going out of the house is clean and then replace the fuse before you run a load of clothes. Let me know what happens. Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCBomwNtVao

Are you still there? How did you do with this? Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Dave, I replaced the thermal fuse did not work. Had to have a tech come it was the circuit board.

Okay. There would have been no need to replace the thermal fuse unless bypassing it made it run. That was the test. Sorry it wasn't simple.