Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE compactor, door won't open,just keeps running, @3 years

Customer Question

GE compactor, door won't open,just keeps running
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: @3 years old, 15" Built-In , not sure of model, 6 listed on manual, first is GCG1500 BB
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Lately, when running, it sometimes gets "stuck" with a thumping noise in the background. I've been able to slightly lift handle and push in, which stopped the thumping and finisheed the cycle.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is the drive nuts on the unit or the main drive gear on the bottom. Often the center plastic gear breaks and then it slips on the hexagon shaft when it gets to the bottom. The corrected the gear with a metal sleeve. You need to take the unit out and remove the bottom to check that center gear to see if that is the issue.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We have it out and on its side. How do we "remove the bottom"?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Never mind, we have bottom off. Now what?

Check the large center pulley remove it and see if it is cracked.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Center pulley is not cracked. Which way do I turn the pulley to raise the ram?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Center pulley is not cracked which way do we turn the Ram to raise it?

I believe clockwise, but you should turn it on and watch that pulley the crack may not be readily visible. I can only type so fast and it is not an instant response like Skype so please be patient.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do we turn it on when we have pulled it out and it is sitting on its side?

Just turn it on and watch it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When we pulled it out we had to unplug it due to length of cord. Should we push it back in and put the plug in?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there some way to turn off that blasted "start my free trial" so I can see what I am typing and what you are answering? It's taking up two thirds of my screen.

YEs or get an extension cord

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should it be upright, or do this while it is on its side?

i would watch it on its side

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is the $24 for a phone call in addition to the $23 for you responding to the online request for help?

Yes it is

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, so white pulley appears to be fine, and the chain is moving freely.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We are looking for an extension cord to get it plugged back in.

Have you run it on its side yet to see the bumping?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plugged it back in, Gears all moved, no thumping sound

So it works now?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It is still running, how long should we let it go?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still running
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we pulled the plug, so the motor wouldn't overheat. Drawer still will not open, unit still on its side

The the drive nuts must be stripped there are two teflon drive nuts that screw up and down the drive screws to move the ram up and down you may have to replace them if the motor is running fine and it is driving the screws.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where are the drive screws. How do you get to them?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we need to take the top off?

Yes to replace the those correct. They are access from the top and the drive gear from the bottom and both can cause that issue.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We too the top off, and pulled up the ram. The door now opens. But we cannot pull the ram all the way out. It catches on the mechanism behind the on/off switch on the front. We have a GE not a Kitchenaid as in the youtube video. Does thefront have to come off also?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is a lip on the bottomof the ram that catches on the on/off switch mchanism, preventing us from removng the ram
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you tell me specifically where to find the drive nuts are located?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How to remove the ram under circumstances described above?

Let me see if another tech can assist.

Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The service manual for your model is attached!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, Kelly: When the other gave up last night, we went to another website, which provided our answer. But thank you for getting back to me. -- Cindy
Expert:  Kelly replied 8 months ago.

I understand, thank you.