Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have an LFC21776st. It quit cooling and making ice. The

Customer Question

I have an LFC21776st. It quit cooling and making ice. The condensor fan in the bck runs, and sounds like the compressor was running. Pulled everything apart, and in the back rightside of the coil where the connections are it has melted off all of the rubber tape. Not sure what part / parts are bad.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

If the compressor and condenser fan are running and the evaporator coil is not frosty then the unit is low or out of freon. These often developed leaks or sealed system issues causing that problem. This is a major repair though and is not a DIY project at all. You may want to call a tech out to confirm and decide whether you wan to put the money into a fix or get a new unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you not read the part about the rubber tape melted off???? If it was low on charge it would not quit in one day it would gradually fail.

The tape is always melted on those units, are you talking about the tape on the evaporator?

ALso they are known for fast leaks and I have seen a lot fail in less than 24 hours for a leak or internal capillary tube or filter drier blockages

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is rubber tape that melted and puddled up under the coil and on the removable panel. Doesn't look like that would be normal.

No that is not normal the heater got stuck on for a long time..this could have caused a blow out. Is the compressor running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think it was running, and condensor fan runs. everything is apart now, isthere a way to test the compressor? What part failed? Defrost thermistor?

Check and see if the compressor is running, yes the defrost thermistor likely failed or the heater relay on the board stuck closed like some of them do.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I unplugged fan so I could make sure I was hearing the compressor. It is running, but real quiet. I checked for amps with a Fluke T5-600 and it read .3 and .4. Not sure if that is good or not. What do I need to do to repair?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are we done? Never got any direction on how to troubleshoot or fix the problem.