Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My whirlpool gold gs5sgh side by side refrigerators icemaker

Customer Question

My whirlpool gold gs5sgh side by side refrigerators icemaker is not dispensing the ice down the shoot. It is making ice fine but I know longer have any motor sound when pushing the dispenser bar to download the ice?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

On that unit typically one of two things is the cause. The actuator switch in the dispenser could be broken off the support or bad or the wiring at the bottom door hinge sometimes breaks causing that issue. The auger motor also could have failed, but I would first check the actuator switch to see if it is clicking in when pressing the dispenser or take the dispenser apart to see if it is in place as often the small plastic mounts that mount the switch break off then it does not work.

SEE PART #14 and 15 at this link..the switch and the bracket that holds it.....CLICK HERE

You would have to pop the bottom edge of the dispenser trim off and lift it up to get at the switches.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!