Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

5or6 yr old Ge washer will fill with water but will not

Customer Question

5or6 yr old Ge washer will fill with water but will not agitate or spin. Is this a serious peoblem?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a model number so I can see what might cause this issue? The model number should be located on a sticker below the lid or a sticker on the back of the control panel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Ok perfect, so this unit has an inverter board mounted to the top of the motor that should have a flashing light on it to tell you what is going on. You'll need to remove the front panel of the washer and look at the flashing light to see what error you're getting if you're getting one.

To access, use a putty knife and push on the two hidden metal spring clips that hold the top panel to the front panel. These clips are located in the crease between the top and front panel. If both clips are pushed back, the front panel will pull forward and hinge down so that you can remove it.

Now you can see the flashing light. If it's flashing steady with no pauses, then you either have a bad inverter board and the entire motor needs to be replaced, or the lid switch is bad and needs to be replaced. If it's not flashing at all, then follow the wires up from the motor and sometimes there is a fuse in line with the wire harness like in the picture attached below. Either replace the faulty fuse or if the fuse is good then replace the motor.

Any other flashes where it flashes 5 times and pauses or flashes 4 times and pauses etc... let me know and I can tell you exactly what that error means.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?