Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Sentrol Smoke Detector--hard wired and no battery.

Customer Question

I have a Sentrol Smoke Detector--hard wired and no battery. I have cleaned it and pulled it all apart. How can I get it to stop chirping, short of cutting the wires?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: It is a Sentrol. It is 19 years old as far as I know since that is the age of my house. We did not change the system when we moved her in 2005.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Nothing of that sort. It just won't shut off.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing happened prior to it chirping. I have tried cleaning it. I have gone to YouTube and it says to pull the thingy apart...did that, no success.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cannot reach the electrical panel to shut off the electricity because my husband has his crab traps piled in front of it. Husband is out of town.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The detector is bad you would need to unplug it or cut the hardwire to get it to stop when that happens. You may want to check if it has a battery backup if it does you can change that out otherwise if it does not cut the wire and replace the detector.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I will cut the wires but doesn't the breaker need to be shut off first? Can I do it without shutting off the breaker?

You can shut the breaker off first most should just plug into the detector though, if not shut the breaker off and cut the wire.