Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The inside of the fridge is icing up behind the bottom left

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: The inside of the fridge is icing up behind the bottom left drawer. I've tested the temp sensor and it seems to be working fine. Can you tell me what is causing the ice to build-up and trigger the error msg "RF"
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: LG LFX31925ST We got it May 2012
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: So, 4 years 3 months old
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. This error RF means that too much ice is building up and affecting the way the fan motor inside the refrigerator functions. Thaw out the ice with a hair dryer. Then remove the back panel inside the refrigerator and thaw out all the ice and frost behind it. Test continuity through the defrost heater that runs below the silver coils. If you do not have continuity through the heater then replace it. Otherwise if you do have continuity, replace the defrost sensor which is the little thermistor sensor clipped onto the silver evaporator coils at the top above the frost.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?