Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I just had installed a brand new GE side-by-side

Customer Question

I just had installed a brand new GE side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, Model #:DSE25JSHECSS, Serial # MG413415. The delivery/installers set it up about an hour ago; they plugged it in, purged the water system, etc. One could hear the compressor motor quietly running for about 25 to 30 mins. I then opened both sides up to load all our food from my old unit into the newfridge/freezer. The temp settings are still at the factory settings of 0 and 37 respectively. Now, after one hour or so, I can no longer hear the compressor running. The fridge temp indication has dropped down from ambient (75) to 66, but my guess is that the previously refrigerated food has caused the drop. Why does it seem that the compressor is not running at all? Oops - never mind; it appears that the compressor has just turned on! Is there some sort of algorithm in the CPU that know/understands that the new owner is loading food - and not to bother to run for awhile until the idiot/owner has loaded all the food? Sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

It is likely that the defrost cycle initiated. It is part of the control programming and usually last about 20 minutes of every 8 hours that the compressor runs. So, it probably had run time accumulated from testing that it was just at the end of that 8 hour run time window. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the refrigerator.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Agreed. Thanks.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. Please remember to rate before you leave, using the stars at the top of the page. Thank you so much!