Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Maytag Washer Performa LSA3500AAE Problem started with the

Customer Question

Maytag Washer Performa LSA3500AAE
Problem started with the smell of a slipping belt. Changed the belts. Now at the end of the drain cycle (low or very little water), there is a squalling noise and smell of slipping new belts. Can't decide if it is the water pump or the agitator transmission. Any thoughts?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Does it screech and the end of the cycle?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Screech at the end of the cycle

OK that is just the brake nothing to worry about is it running fine other than that?

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me!.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not think it is the brake as the squall carries on for a while and I start to smell the belt again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
or screech
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any other thoughts?

Is it right at the beginnning or when it stops?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The noise occurs at the end of the drain cycle, when water is low
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
with a smell of rubber like slipping belt

Ok can you tip the unit up against the wall and see if all pulleys turn freely?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have done this and pulleys spin freely. The water pump adjustment is to the max. Is it possible this belt is to tight?

The model does not come up are there 2 belts or one?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My mistake LAT3500AAE. Two belts

OK remove the front cover panel on the unit and see if the motor is gliding back and forth freely with the belts off. Let me know YOu should be able to push it forward and it should spring back freely.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It does
Could there be junk in the pump?

There could be but the pulley would not turn freely then

Normally when that happens the bearing on the main tub may be binding during spin or possibly you could have something caught between the inner and outer tub.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The pump and is off and spins free. Seems to be fine. The main tub pulley spins free in one direction but will not spin smoothly in the other direction. Is this tub pulley suppose to spin freely in both directions?

Yes it should spin freely in both it will winding up clockwise and release the brake and then the transmission should spin fairly easily by turning the pulley does it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It spins freely in one direction. In the other direction it spins, gets tough releases than spins a little more and will stop, not letting me spin farther.. The noise does not occur during the spin but during the drain down
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The noise starts when the tub becomes light with water. As if it is the lose of weight in the tub. I will try it with a load of wash to see what happens

Yes you either have a failed tub bearing or something is jammed between the inner and outer tub on the unit for sure.