Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Thermador cooktop pg304blp/12 and every thing works

Customer Question

I have a Thermador cooktop pg304blp/12
and every thing works ok. The only problem
is there is a clunk- clunk noise from the left
hand rear burner area always.Must turn off the circuit breaker to stop it from making the sound noise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your cooktop today. The left burners are your simmer control burners which have a separate simmer control module as well as potentiometers to control the burners clicking and gas. If the left burners are sparking when they are not supposed to then one of your parts has failed. You'd want to start by replacing the potentiometers for both left burners because they work together so even if the problem is only the left rear burner, you want to replace them both. These potentiometers are the little switch boards behind the knobs under the cooktop that slide onto the knob shafts. Below is a link to the part and you'll want to replace 2 of them. Be sure to unplug the unit before servicing it or you will definitely further short out the simmer system.

CLICK HERE for part

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You did not answer my question properly.My thermador cooktop is not sparking. I get this clunk-clunk sound even when all
my burners are turned off. The sound is comming from under the left hand rear burner area.
According to the website, you were going to collect the fee if I was pleased with the answer.I have not gotten an appropriate
answer and you have already gone into my account and withdraw the funds. Now you are asking me for another $24.00 to call me.What is going on with yoy people?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know the difference between an ignitor sparking and a clunk-clunk noise.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The answer is still the same. The clunking noise is the electronic gas valve opening and closing which again is caused by the simmer control system. It's all part of the same noise. As for charges, you are charged to read my answer. I personally don't get paid without you rating me that you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cant read the answer on my phone,the letters are just too small. Any corespondence, please use my e-mail address.***@******.***
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately I can't do that. I can only contact you through this service.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you saying the electronic gas valve is bad.Because,all the switches and igniters can be turned on and off ok.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying either your potentiometers or the simmer control is bad---same as before. The gas valve shouldn't ever be making noise if you're not turning the burner on. If it's making noise then the simmer control module is sending it power and it shouldn't be. So again the answer is the same, I would replace the potentiometers first.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is the part numbers for the potentiometers and simmer control module?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

The potentiometers are 00422748. The simmer control module is 00422882

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.