Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

We have a Maytag Neptune washing machine that is over 10

Customer Question

We have a Maytag Neptune washing machine that is over 10 years old. It works fine, but the rubber seal that goes between the frame and the tub has black mildew or something that is starting to flake off in the things washed. Is there any way to clean the mildew? off of the rubber seal?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I can help you with this Neptune washer. Unfortunately these rubber gaskets weren't designed to have a material that would sanitize itself so you would need to wipe down the gasket with a 10% bleach/hot water mixture using a rag. Now that will get the gasket sanitized but most of the discoloration will stay in place because rubber is porous. If you want it to look clean you'd have to replace the rubber gasket because the color is not going to go away I'm sorry to say. If you don't replace the gasket, then just wipe it out with 10% bleach once a month or two and that will prevent any more mildew from growing.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.