Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

The door to my front-loader washer is locked and won't open.

Customer Question

The door to my front-loader washer is locked and won't open. I have held the control button down for the 3-2-1-count. At first it says LOC. Hold button down again and it counts 3-2-1 and is blank. Push the power button but no response. Door remains locked.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your washer today. First, the control lock button doesn't actually lock the door so if it's showing LOC now, press and hold it again to remove the control lock. As for the door latch not releasing, unplug the washer and remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. Reach down behind the front panel to the door latch. At the bottom of the door latch is a plastic tab you can pull down on to manually unlock the door. Open the door and remove whatever is inside the tub. If it's full of water then the door isn't opening because the washer isn't draining which means you'll need to get to the drain catch below the tub and clean out the drain catch or replace the drain pump if the drain catch is clear. On the other hand, if the tub is not full of water, then plug the washer back in and try to start a new cycle. If the washer won't start or it starts but won't unlock at the end of the cycle again, replace the door latch.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?