Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Samsung Refrigerator rfg295aars/xaa. It is about 10

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Samsung Refrigerator rfg295aars/xaa. It is about 10 years old. About a week ago, we found ice cream starting to soften. The indicated temperature on the display panel was -4F, but the actual temperature based on a separate thermometer was closer to 30F. After doing a reset by unplugging the unit, the indicated and measured temps matched initially, but drifted apart after the unit ran overnight. Both the compressor and fan run when put in manual. Over the last day or two, the refrig is struggling to hold temp too.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10 years old.
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: No error codes.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Found dust plugging vents on the back of the frig.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will be away from the computer for a couple of min. Please hold.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm back.I've opened the cover where the computer boards are located. There are no obvious burn marks. The smaller board has a red LED on it, but the light is not on. I don't see a LED on the larger board.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Last night, I put the unit into manual mode ("FF1") to run the compressor and fan full time. The displayed freezer temp was 25F this morning. Using a separate thermometer, the measured temp inside the freezer was 20F.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just checked the freezer and refrigerator again. The displayed temperature and set point temperature are both -14F. The temperature based on a separate thermometer placed inside the freezer is 10F. The refrigerator set point and displayed temperature are both 46F. The temperature based on a separate thermometer in the refrigerator shows 42F.
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• The sensors are not likely to be accurate and then drift off, so with the other symptoms you are seeing, I suspect the main electronic control is at fault. Of course, check and verify all connections to and between the control and the sensors.