Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model gb2shdxtqoo. freezer

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool refrigerator model gb2shdxtqoo. freezer on bottom, fridge on top. freezer part is not working - everything melted overnight. fridge is cool but not cold.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10 years old
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: there is no flashing lights. Nothing on the unit to flash - no lights
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing. it just happened last night
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no model number is *****
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. If the unit is still running and the refrigerator portion is cool, you know the evaporator fan behind the back panel inside the freezer is working and still circulating the air. Unfortunately that means that you have an issue with your compressor itself. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor. Now on these bottom freezer models, I just want to warn you that typically the compressor itself is the part that fails because the piston stalls when the compressor gets hot. Sometimes if you unplug the unit and let it cool for 3 or 4 hours it'll start working again but the issue will definitely come back in a few days or weeks even if that works.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?