Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a refrigeration unit (in a wine cellar) that is not

Customer Question

I have a refrigeration unit (in a wine cellar) that is not cooling. It sounds like the compressor turns on, but only for 2 seconds and then it goes off. This happens every 2 minutes or so. The coils are clean. The compressor is quite warm.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately this issue you're experiencing means that either your overload relay attached to the side of the compressor (where all the wires connect) is either weak, or more likely the compressor is just going bad and the piston inside is seizing up. Sometimes you can let it cool down and see if it works after 4-6 hours. If so then you know for sure the compressor is at fault. If it still doesn't run then maybe replace the overload relay since you can't test between the relay and compressor due to the compressor being a sealed unit and the overload relay would just be weak which isn't something you can test for. Either way, if it comes down to a compressor it likely wouldn't be worth fixing since the repair would be $650. I'm sorry about the bad news tonight.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?