Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The display on my GE CGS 990 is not working. I tried the

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: the display on my GE CGS 990 is not working. I tried the resetting the breaker, but it did not do anything
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: CGS990SET5ss
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: When it went off it showed the number 2, then when I reset the brakerr it went dark
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: my wife was heating the lower oven
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your oven today. The 2 things that can cut out the display are the display board itself and the thermal cut out fuse mounted to the top of the oven below the cooktop. you'd need to remove all the cooktop burners and screws going through the burner bases and remove the entire top in order to access the thermal cut out. Test continuity through this part and if it does not have continuity, replace it. If it does have continuity, then you need to replace the display board. Based on what you said about the display board showing a number 2 and then you reset the breaker and it went dark, it doesn't sound like the fuse went bad---it sounds like your display board just failed but that would be my best guess without testing the fuse. Either way, below is a link to both parts.

CLICK HERE for fuse

CLICK HERE for control board

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?