Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Pearl. My Kenmore Elite Quiet Pak dryer stopped getting hot,

Customer Question

HI. Pearl. My Kenmore Elite Quiet Pak dryer stopped getting hot
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10 years old. Model number110.66942501
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: nothing that fancy :) it does not have a digital display
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I had done a couple of dryer loads. then the towels seemed to take FOREVER and were still not dry at the end of the cycle
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: so I adjusted the setting (from dryness level to timed) and it just wasn't heating up to dry the clothes
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your dryer today. The model number you gave me appears to indicate this is an electric dryer not gas, so you'll first want to test and make sure you're getting 220 volts to the back of the dryer where the power cord connects to the dryer itself. You should have 220 volts between the 2 outside power wires. The dryer can run but it won't heat with only 110 volts.

Now if that all checks good, you need to remove the left front panel of the dryer to expose the heating element under the dryer drum. Use a putty knife to slide into the seam above the lower front panel and pry down on the 2 hidden metal spring clips about 5 inches form the right and left sides. That will release the lower front panel so you can hinge it forward and down. Unplug the dryer.

Now most likely the element has failed but there are 2 more small devices screwed into the left side of the heating canister. You'll want to test continuity through these 2 parts if you have a multimeter. If either part doesn't have continuity---replace it. If they both check good, then test continuity on the heater to confirm it has no continuity. Whatever doesn't have continuity needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?