Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GTWN4250m1ws GE top loading washer. The washer will not fill

Customer Question

GTWN4250m1ws GE top loading washer. The washer will not fill on auto load sensing but will fill on the small, medium and large settings, Once filled it will not agitate or spin but it will drain. I have replaced the lid sensor and that did not solve the problem. A repair tech. thought it was the control board. I replaced the control board and that did not solve the problem. Can you suggest what it might be? Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

The water level pressure switch is bad and not sending power to the inlet valve on auto fill.

Washer Water Level Pressure Switch

Part #: WH12X10412 - click here

*******************************************************************************

Please Note: The only way I get compensated for my time helping you is if you rate the answer!

We are on the honor system here. Since I have given you the initial answer please rate/vote by selecting a star at the top of the screen and any follow up questions you may have will be free of charge and of course I will continue to help if needed.

Rating me will does not affect what you agreed to pay for the question and will not have any affect on what you have already been billed for unless you request a phone call.

Feel free to get back to me with any questions you may have but in the meantime I would appreciate you going ahead and rating the answer as this is the only way I get compensated for my time, thanks!

After you have rated/voted the answer you will be sent an email with a link that will allow you to get back to me for any follow up questions free of charge it will not close the question.

Please Know: I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. I am just a technician on the site that is here to help assist you and have nothing to do with billing.

NOTE PLEASE READ:

When you rate/vote my answer you have to click on the star vote/rate system at the top of your screen. Typing I give you a 5 star rating in a message does absolutely nothing to help me you have to click on the rating system.

Thank You!

Tips are not expected but are greatly appreciated.

let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The washing machine will fill on the regular settings i.e. small, medium, and large and cut off at proper level but then will not continue the cycle. In other words it will not agitate. I can drain the washer by turning to the spin/rinse cycle, It drains but does not spin,
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The washing machine will fill on regular settings i.e. small, medium. and large and cut off at proper level but then will not continue the cycle. In other words it will not agitate. I can drain the washer by turning to the spin/rinse cycle. It drains but does not spin.

*The washer will not fill on auto load sensing is the water level switch.

as far as it not agitating or spinning you will need to trouble shoot the problem.

follow the instructions below:

To Reset the Inverter Board: Push the timer knob in so the washer is idle. Unplug the machine for one minute. Plug back in and raise and lower the lid six times within 12 seconds. Now if the washer still doesn't work, remove the front panel and look at the flashing light on the inverter board above the motor. Count the flashes and refer to the chart linked below:

click here for chart

IF there is no power to the inverter board at all and you see no lights on the inverter board then odds are the inline fuse in the wiring harness to the motor has blown, to locate the fuse remvove the front panel of the washer and look at the wiring harness where is wraps around the suspension rod and look for the taped part of the wiring harness its under there and linked in the white and red striped wire.

Do not attempt to bypass the fuse you could blow the motor if its good.

The fuse is Part Number WH49X10055 - click here

sorry I did not add the link for the fuse, here - click here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll try your recommendation and get back to you. Thanks

sure let me know what you find, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure where this inverter is. Is it under the plate on top of the motor?.

yep its the computer board on top the motor.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot get the plate off the top of the motor I cannot find the fuse. GE does not service my area. I am at an impasse but I'm sure that's what they want so I'll buy a new washer. The repair tech could not fix it. He recommended a control board,. new one in.

you don't need to take the plate off the motor to see the led on it, if there is no led on when the washer is powered on then the fuse is bad. The fuse is built into the white wire with the red stripe on it, on the wiring harness. You have to replace the fuse with the fuse kit I linked you too earlier. pull the black tape holding the wiring harness and you will see that the white wire with the red stripe has a fuse that is shrink wrapped, but you cant bypass it you must replace it with the one I linked you too, you just cut it out and splice in the new one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no computer board on top of the motor, no led visible, wires going into motor. Carefully inspected the harness from motor to top behind control panel, removed all tape. only found one junction where two wires come in and the white wire with the red stripe comes out

sorry I will have to opt out so another tech can help you

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If the main control has been replaced. the motor may have failed or the shitter coil has shorted, a very common issue with these machines. There is a small LED that flashes on the motor control board under that metal cover. If you cannot see it flashing, then the motor is faulty or is not getting power. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?