Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My KitchenAid refrigerator, model KSCS25INSS01: metal strip

Customer Question

My KitchenAid refrigerator, model KSCS25INSS01: metal strip between refrigerator and freezer is very warm to the touch. We are getting ready to go on vacation. What is the cause & what should be do to prevent possible water leakage?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you with your refrigerator today. The warm strip between the refrigerator and freezer means that your compressor is overheating. There is a yoder loop that runs through this divider wall to prevent the door seals from freezing to the frame of the refrigerator and freezer in humid environments. But if the compressor is running too much or too hard it will get quite hot. Pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Clean the coils below the refrigerator so the compressor can cool better. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running. If it's not running then you need a multimeter to test for 110 volts to the fan motor. If you have 110 volts, replace the fan motor or remove the blockages stopping the fan blade. If it's NOT getting 110 volts, there is a control board in the far lower back right corner inside a sheet metal box attached to the right side wall below the refrigerator. This control board will need to be replaced because it's what supplies power to the fan motor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?