Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

I'm having trouble with my whirlpool dryer. the control

Customer Question

Good morning. I'm having trouble with my whirlpool dryer. the control panel seems to be dead even though it has power. i was wondering if there might be some trick to reset it or if i have to call for service. it;s only 2 years old.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: wgd86hebw gas dryer, 2 years old
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: no lights. control panel dark. light goes on inside when door open.
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing. worked fine last time I used it. 6 days ago. no issues since then.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: guess not. thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly I do not know whether you are male/female, age or skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating

The only think you can do is unplug the unit an check for power at the socket, if that is good plug it back in and that is a reset. There is no other way to reset that unit. Often the touchpanel goes out on that model and causes that exact issue. The part runs about 200 dollars and I would suggest getting a tech to come out as it is a job to put it in.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am paid anything through the site and that will also get you a DIRECT LINK emailed to you to get back to me! are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Hi there,

I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, if there is something else I can help you with follow up questions are free and can still be handled even after you rate the service thanks.