Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore

I turned the refrigerator off yesterday in order to melt the

Customer Question

I turned the refrigerator off yesterday in order to melt the ice accumulation at the bottom of the freezer. After about 4 hours, the refrigerator was turned back on and has been qperating constantly overnite for about 11 hours. I reloaded the frig with food and after about one hour the unit quit working.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Maytag. I will have to look up the model. The Frig is 20 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If there is a simple solution--yes. Otherwise I will call an appliance teck.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: There was a problem with the automatic defrost. That is the reason I thawed out the frig.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave. Sorry you are having problems. If the refrigerator stopped running it could be because the timer turned it off. If that is the case it will be back on in 20 minutes. Is the refrigerator running but not cooling or not running?

Do you still need help?