Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Steam Electric Dryer. When I turn

Customer Question

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Steam Electric Dryer. When I turn it on, it will spin for about 20 seconds and then stop and it seems that it just stays on "sensing". Along with that is a high heat type smell that comes from the dryer. What could be the cause of this?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 6 years old. Model #WED6600WLD SER#MY3002946
JA: What are all the symptoms of the problem (error codes, flashing lights, etc.)?
Customer: Nothing...lights work. No error codes. The Sensing light is illuminated and the timer will count down on the display
JA: What happened just before this problem started? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I did smell the heat smell a few times before. But it just happened out of the blue. I did call a repair guy, but he told me it was the motor. I'm just not sure that is correct.
JA: Anything else you want the appliance expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so, thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 5 months ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. This is not a common problem unless there was electrical work and the dryer wiring was changed incorrectly. Lets see if we can recall any codes using diagnostics. Here are the steps.

ACTIVATING THE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODE 1. Be sure the dryer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off, or with only the Done indicator on). 2. Select any one button (except Pause/Cancel) and follow the steps below, using the same button (remember the button): Press/hold 2-5 seconds ➔ Release for 2-5 seconds ➔ Press/hold 2-5 seconds ➔ Release for 2-5 seconds ➔ Press/hold 2-5 seconds

3. If this test mode has been entered successfully, all indicators on the console are illuminated for 5 seconds with 88 showing in the Estimated Time Remaining two-digit display

DIAGNOSTIC: Saved Fault Codes If there are saved fault codes, the most recent fault code will alternately show “F-” and “XX” where XX is the fault code. Press and release the same button used to activate Diagnostics ➔ beep tone ➔ Second most recent fault code is displayed.