Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Jennair range model JDR8895AAS and the ignitor on

Customer Question

Hi - I have a Jennair range model JDR8895AAS and the ignitor on the center burner keeps trying to light (by itself - all night/all day). I had a tech in and they said that all the ignitors on all the burners are connected and the only way to fix them is to unscrew the top panel and replace them all. Only problem is that the screws are rusty and he is afraid of attempting to remove them for fear of not being able to put it back together or not being able to get them out at all.
Are all the ignitors connected? and while the screws are rusted, if we did get them out, what are the chances that we would not be able to put it back together ?
In the meantime, we've disconnected the ignitors - so we need to light the burners ourselves. My husband is concerned that there is a higher chance of leaving the gas on this way. Is there any safety feature that controls for this (with or without the ignitors?).
Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

It is not a faulty igniter causing the issue but a switch that is allowing power to the spark module or a short in the module circuit. If you remove the knobs, you will see a switch under each one on the burner shaft. When you turn the knob, it closes the switch contacts and sends power to the spark module. The only way an electrode can spark is if the module is getting power. So, I would unplug the range and get some plastic safe contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) and spray the switches real good while turning them on and off to clean the contacts inside. This will eliminate any moisture and grease that is closing the switch circuit with the switch in the off position. Let me know how it goes.

As for the gas shut off, there is no safety for the top burners. They will allow gas to flow when they are on regardless of any issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you! I'll try this an let you know how it goes!
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Sounds good, keep me posted!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Kelly - really stupid question but I have to ask - which knobs are you referring to? The burner caps (to expose the ignitor) or the knobs that you turn to turn on the burner? What is confusing me is the "turn it on and off while you spray the contact spray" how do I do that without the knobs on?Dumb I know but....
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

The knobs you turn the burners on with. Unplug the appliance and turn the gas off. Remove the knob, spray the switch with contact cleaner, replace knob to turn burner valve shaft on and off several times.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi - I just spoke with the original tech that looked at the range and he is saying that this solution has a very high risk of creating a fire (even with power and gas off). He is refusing to try this. What do you think are the chances of fire?
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Risk of fire by cleaning the burner switches with the power and gas shut off? I am not sure what he is thinking but maybe he would like to sell you a new switch harness instead, available below.

CLICK HERE